Hybrid position combining on-air reporting and shooting. Works independently as well as occasionally paired with another reporter-photog, allowing one to shoot while the other performs on camera.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Cover news and feature assignments on location and in studio.
- Report, shoot and edit major market broadcast quality stories.
- Present thorough, fair and balanced stories that engage users.
- Gather facts, utilize sources, follow leads, research, and fact check to ensure stories are as accurate and comprehensive as possible.
- Operate required cameras and related gear with competence and maintain as required
- Pitch original story ideas on unique, relevant and newsworthy topics, including fresh angles and follow-ups.
- Conduct live or pre-recorded interviews, debriefs, standups as required….with adequate research and preparation.
- Collaborate with E.P. senior managers and colleagues to produce content that resonates with Newsday’s mission and meets its high standards.
- Anchoring ability preferred
- Occasional field producing and in-studio producing
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- A bachelor’s degree required. A Degree in Journalism, Communications, or equivalent work experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must have a demo reel illustrating reporting and shooting skills
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a commercial broadcast.
- Familiarity with mirrorless dSLR’s and Sony broadcast cameras and equipment a plus.
- Advance knowledge of Adobe Premiere preferred
- Computer skills (video storage and newsroom systems) preferred
- Knowledge of live streaming equipment, a plus.
- Knowledge of multiple camera platforms a plus.
- Strong broadcast writing skills, and ability to articulate and convey information in a clear, concise and conversational manner.
- Strong live reporting and on-camera presentation skills.
- Multi-media writing and production experience a plus
- Able to work a flexible and varied schedule, to include weekends, holidays, nights and extended hours.
- Ability to build relationships and sources that result in stories that engage viewers and subscribers.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven team environment.
- Strong advanced research, data research and some investigative skills preferred
- Position requires broadcasting and articulating breaking news and assignments on air in a high demand environment.
- Requires walking, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, grasping and repetitive motions.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds of camera gear for extended periods of time throughout work day. Ability to push/pull up to 50lbs of equipment to from location on a cart as needed for assignments. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of medium work.
- Requires the ability to read through files, scripts, presentations, theories, monitors and procedures.
- Ability to utilize a computer keyboard, computer monitor, microphone, camera, video equipment and telephone for prolonged periods of time.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)