Newsday’s FeedMe team is recruiting a top-level food and restaurants editor to lead our team of journalists covering Long Island’s dining scene across digital, print and social platforms.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Direct coverage of venue openings/closings, local food trends and deeper-dive features that appeal to Long Island restaurant-goers.
- Conceptualize content from start to finish for Newsday’s daily coverage, weekly print features and seasonal products—including providing editorial direction for our digital video series FeedMeTV as well as our award-winning quarterly magazine.
- Be a key player in the company’s strategy to grow FeedMe’s brand and footprint through subscriber events and partnerships.
- Identify quick-hit video and social opportunities while curating the best coverage for our print edition subscribers.
- Supervise reporting of stories and line edit content that appears across platforms.
- Work with other editorial departments to coordinate coverage and placement of content across all media platforms.
- Ensure content is distributed across all media platforms.
- Manage the operational budget within appropriate guidelines.
- Supervise, hire, train and mentor employees as well as evaluate employees’ performance.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications with at least 5 years’ experience as an assigning editor.
- Experience editing food and restaurant content is preferred.
- Strong management, journalism and writing skills; proven sound news judgment
- Strong knowledge of the food and beverage industry and be able to discuss and write about food presentation, service experience and food flavor in an engaging and informative way.
- Understanding of reader expectations of food quality appraisal and service standards at various levels.
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to collaborate with colleagues across the newsroom, including with the company’s marketing and events teams.
- Knowledge of AP style and experience vetting content for legal, ethical and news value.
- Familiarity with basic SEO and digital publishing strategies.
- A demonstrated ability to mastermind cross-platform content, understanding how to pace and prioritize the team’s daily assignments to aggregate new material in a way that maintains existing digital restaurant roundups.
- Knowledgeable about assessing reader/subscriber trends and acting on the resulting metrics to lead coverage that serves our loyal subscribers and helps Newsday build subscribers and new, diverse audiences.
- A dynamic leader who’s comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and excels at collaboration.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task while working on multiple assignments and meeting aggressive deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Driver’s license in good standing and/or reliable transportation for travel to/from restaurants, food shows and events.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support business needs.
- Travel required to and from restaurant locations, restaurant launches, food & beverage events and company events throughout Long Island.
- Driving short or long distances for assignments throughout Long Island.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)