The Nassau County Office of the Inspector General was created as an office of the Nassau County Legislature to provide increased accountability and oversight of County Operations to detect and prevent waste, fraud, abuse, and illegal acts in programs administered or financed by the County, to promote transparency, efficiency and integrity in the County contracting and procurement processes, and to assist in increasing economy, efficiency and effectiveness in the administration of County government.
The selected Inspector General will manage the operations of the office and staff, including such deputies, assistants, investigators, and employees that engage in the performance of confidential, complex and specialized investigations into allegations of corruption, official misconduct, fraud, waste and inefficiency involving County agencies, employees, and contracts. The office for this position will be located in Mineola, New York.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• The review, investigation, examination and audit of County programs, activities, expenditures, accounts, records, contracts, agreements, purchase orders, procurements, and transactions including all activities and operations of County agencies;
• The preparation and publication of reports and recommendations to the County Executive and County Legislature based on the results of any investigation, review, examination or audit;
• The monitoring and analysis of State and County vendor and contractor databases relating to procurement and contracting, political contributions, lobbying disclosures, and financial disclosures to detect impropriety in the County procurement process.
• At least 10 years experience in any one or a combination of the following fields:
o As a federal, state or local law enforcement officer/official or prosecutor;
o As a federal or state court judge;
o As an inspector general, certified public accountant, or internal auditor;
o As a person with progressive supervisory and managerial experience in an investigative public agency similar to an inspector general’s office;
o As a person responsible for regulatory and compliance issues whether in the public or private sector;
• Has managed and completed complex investigations involving allegations of fraud, theft, deception, and conspiracy;
• Has demonstrated the ability to work with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies and the judiciary;
• Has a four-year degree from an accredited institution of higher learning and a graduate degree in law or criminal justice or is a certified public accountant;
• Has not been employed by the County, any municipality, or any other governmental entity subject to the authority of the Office of the Inspector General during the two-year period immediately prior to such selection unless such employment has been with the Nassau County Office of the Inspector General;
• Has not been an officer of a political party for the ten years preceding their appointment;
• Is a person of integrity and good moral character.
Salary and Compensation:
• The starting salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s experience, competencies and qualifications.
• Compensation includes health, dental insurance coverage and pension credit in the New York State Retirement System.
To apply: All applicants shall submit resumes to the Clerk of the Nassau County Legislature:
Clerk of the Nassau County Legislature
1550 Franklin Avenue
Mineola, New York 11501
By email: email@example.com
All applications must be received by May 9, 2018.
Location/Region: Mineola, NY (US - 11501)