Cyber Operations Specialists conduct integrated and synchronized
offensive cyberspace operations by targeting enemy and hostile adversary
activities and capabilities. These specialists also conduct defensive
operations to protect data, networks, net-centric capabilities, and
other designated systems. They are responsible for detecting,
identifying, and responding to attacks against friendly networks with
other lethal and nonlethal actions that enable commanders to gain an
advantage in cyberspace, across all domains.
- Provide crucial intelligence and network support that safeguards the cyber domain.
- Collect, analyze and report digital data.
- Maintain network defense tools such as routers and firewalls.
- Evaluate network defense operations.
- Respond to incidents in cyberspace.
- Surveillance and reconnaissance actions on specified systems and networks.
- Conduct network terrain audits, penetration testing, basic digital forensics and software threat analysis.
Those who wish to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a cyber operations specialist requires completing 10
weeks of Basic Combat Training and two phases of Advanced Individual
Training (AIT). Phase one includes 25 weeks of training in Corry
Station, Florida. Phase two lasts 20 weeks, and takes place in Fort
Much of the training results in industry-leading certifications
useful in both military and civilian careers. These certifications
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- CISCO Certified Networking Associate (CCNA)
- Self-discipline, confidence and intelligence
- Physical and mental fitness to perform under pressure
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Capability to bear numerous responsibilities
Required ASVAB Score(s)
General Technical (GT) : 110, Skilled Technical (ST) : 112
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
This MOS is eligible for Special Pay of up to $300 per month.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based
scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for
living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Cyber recruits also have access to the following:
- Advanced Civil Schooling (ACS)
- opportunities and Training with Industry (TWI) apprenticeships.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you will learn as a Cyber Operations Specialist will help
prepare you for a career in government agencies, as well as jobs in
global security companies.
- Some of these Organizations include:
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- National Security Agency (NSA)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment,
after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program
is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military
friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans
to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program
- AAI CORPORATION
- CONCURRENT TECHNOLOGIES
- GENERAL DYNAMICS LAND SYSTEMS
- LOCKHEED MARTIN
Location/Region: Hempstead, NY